Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Questioning my self

Starting with a question seems like a good idea to me : it helps to bring a sharper focus. Of course there are a lazy questions and there are thoughtful questions. The difference is hard to explain, but anyone who has ever heard or asked a great question, asked at the right time, will immediately know why good, careful, thoughtful questions are always worth asking.

When it comes to questions about faith, Christians have often pointed to the example of God asking Adam and Eve, "Where are you" (Genesis 3:9) and the way in which Jesus interacts with people in the New Testament. Here are just a few of the questions of Jesus :

What are you looking for? What do you want me to do for you? Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me? If you love only those who love you, what credits is that to you? Do you want to be well? Do you see this woman? What good is it gain the whole world but forfeit your soul? Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Who is greater, the one seated at the table, or the one who serves? Which of you would hand his son a stone when he ask for a loaf of bread, ora a snake when he asks for a fish? Do you believe this? Do you love me?

Perhaps starting with questions isn't such a bad idea after all, is it? Even so, some may be suspicious of starting with questions. Others may be worried about being unfaithful to God if they use and engage properly with questions. But, as you can see, Jesus used questions, which for me, is the strongest reason to use them. And when Jesus asked a question it suddenly brought everything into focus, not just for the one he was asking, but for everyone listening as well.

Questons help us to concentrate, pay attention, and think together.
What I believe in my heart must make sense in my mind

No comments:

Post a Comment